Regulatory Introduction Insurance & Investment

Statutory introductory information required by Paragraph 15, Section 1 of the VersVermV (Versicherungsvermittlungs-verordnung) and Paragraph 12 of the FinVermV (Finanzanlagevermittlungs-verordnung)

Cathy Matz-Townsend

Dipl.-Betriebswirtin (FH)
Hauptstraße 175
65375 Oestrich-Winkel

Telefon: +49 (0)6723 6033518
Fax: +49 (0)6723 6033516


Dear Client, Dear Potential Client,

The German authorities require me, in my capacity as an independent insurance and financial services broker, to provide you with certain information about myself and my business. In order to make this information useful to you, I have set it out as an information sheet.

What kind of insurance and financial services broker am I?

As an independent insurance broker I am charged with representing your best interests when it comes to dealing with insurance companies on your behalf. By comparison, insurance agentsYare both responsible to and tied to the insurance company they might represent. I always offer you an individual consultation. There is no ownership relationship with any insurance company of any kind. I presently have three employees.

Personal information that I will seek from you will allow me to conduct an objective review of the insurance policies available in the relevant markets at present, in order to find one or a combination of policies which will meet your needs for insurance cover.

As a matter of course, I will enter into a written agreement with you as a client in which my activities on your behalf are detailed. This is called an insurance brokerage agreement (in German, a Versicherungsmaklervertrag). The brokerage agreement will clearly set out the scope and limits of my activities on your behalf and will in addition, state that my work will not cause you to incur additional expenses as commissions are normally paid to me by the insurance companies directly. The commissions are included in the insurance premiums. If you prefer to pay me directly I can offer you insurance products without commissions. We would have a written agreement for that purpose. If you are a business/company I can also consult on a fee basis.

I received approval on August 6, 2007 as an independent insurance broker under section 34d, paragraph 1 of the German trading regulations (Gewerbeordnung) by the IHK Frankfurt, Börsenplatz 4 in 60313 Frankfurt am Main. The present authorization is by the IHK in Wiesbaden, Wilhelmstr. 24-26 in 65183 Wiesbaden.

I also offer you the opportunity to invest in German regulated financial vehicles such as mutual funds and closed real estate funds. I would arrange with you a service fee or fund load depending on your preferences. In addition I may receive monies from third parties such as investment fund managers. All arrangements will be fully documented. I have the authorization under section 34f, paragraph 1, numbers 1 and 2 of the German trading regulations (Gewerbeordnung) from the IHK in Wiesbaden, Wilhelmstr. 24-26 in 65183 Wiesbaden.

How can you check on my regulatory status?

I am listed in the register of insurance arrangers and have the registration number D-QOYL-ZG2TM-64. In addition I am listed under the number D-F-125-ZNE9-16 for financial services. You are welcome to check this at any time via the internet on or with the register of insurance arrangers directly:
Vermittlerregister Deutsche Industrie- und Handelskammer (DIHK) e.V.
Breite Strasse 29 10178 Berlin
Telephone number 0180 / 6005850
(20 cents /per call. from German landline, max. 60 cents/per call. from mobile phone).

Other qualifications and membership of professional bodies:

  • I am a qualified financial services provider (FIFA, 1991) and business owner since 1988
  • I am a member of an association for experts in arranging health, disability and long-term nursing care plans: PremiumCircle Deutschland GmbH
  • I use the services of back office pools such as AG, ASC GmbH and FondsKonzept Investmentmakler GmbH
  • I am a member of the BDVM e.V. (Leading Association for independent insurance and financial brokers)
  • I am a certified consultant (IHK) for the specific area of “generation planning”
  • I also offer personal financial planning services (fee-based) for clients needing a full and transparent overview of their finances. This service is provided independent of my insurance brokerage activities.

In the event of my services not matching your expectations

It is my aim to provide you, my clients, with the protection of good quality insurance policies which meet your requirements. If, despite all my efforts at thoroughness, an error were to arise in the work I have undertaken on your behalf, which we cannot resolve amicably between ourselves and you consequently believe that it is necessary to call on the services of an independent adjudicator, it is open to you to consult the insurance ombudsman. It is the responsibility of the latter to adjudicate in any dispute between you as a client and myself as a broker in an attempt to avoid expensive litigation. I take part (mandatory in Par. 17, 4 of the VersVermV) in the mediation process according to Par. 214 VVG and Par. 36 of the Consumer Dispute Settlement Act.

The ombudsmen can be reached at the following addresses:

Versicherungsombudsmann e.V.
Postfach 08 06 32
10006 Berlin
Tel. +49 30 2060580
Fax. +49 30 20605858

*Ombudsman for Health and Nursing Insurance
Ombudsmann Private Kranken- und Pflegeversicherung*
Postfach 06 02 22
10052 Berlin

The European Commission has an online platform (OS-Platform) for consumer disputes in regards to contracts at
My email address for this purpose is

I sincerely hope it will never be necessary to use the remedies mentioned above and that you will always be wholly satisfied with the efforts I make on your behalf.

Yours sincerely,

Cathy Matz-Townsend

as at: December 2018